|На волю вырвавшись из плена,
Взлетая в солнечную высь,
Вода поет. Клокочет пена
И капли звездами зажглись.
Они трепещущим узором
Струю венчают в синеве
И гаснут, вспыхнув метеором,
Отдав алмазный блеск листве...
is situated on the southern shore of the Gulf of Finland,
29 km from Saint Petersburg. Its parks occupy a territory of about 1000
ha. In 1714 on a high littoral terrace a palace was founded (known as
upper halls) and behind the palace the Upper Garden was laid out.
that same time construction of fountain cascades and sea channels
began. There is a unique system of water-supply of the fountains which
is based on the principle of communicating vessels. The fountains are
connected by means of a water-main with springs welling out in the
Ropshinsky Heights. It was also the time when the park later named as
Lower was established there. In the middle of the XVIII century the
palace was augmented upon the project of the architect Rastrelli.
steep slope in front of the palace the Grand Cascade of
fountains embellished with bronze sculptures and bas-reliefs dedicated
to Russia's victories in the Northern war is located. It consists of 64
fountains. The bronze gilded sculptures are designed by Kozlovsky,
Shoubin, Shchedrin and Martos. In the center of the cascade there is
the famous sculptural group "Samson tearing the lion's jaws",
symbolizing the victory of Russia over Sweden. At the base of the
cascade there are fountains "Volkhov" and "Neva".
lower park there were constructed the Marli Palace, the
Hermitage and the Monplaisir Palace. The Monplaisir became the first
picture gallery in Russia which contained a large collection of
paintings of Dutch and Flemish masters. In front of the palace a garden
with a fountain, parterre and several sculptures.
lower park was planned so that every palace had its portion of
fountains : the Grand Cascade corresponds to the Grand Peterhof Palace,
the Cascade of Dragons corresponds to the Monplaisir, the Cascade of
Lions - to the Hermitage, the "Golden Mountain" cascade - to the Marli
are also two marble fountains in the square which bear
resemblance to the fountain in front of the St. Peter's Cathedral in
Rome, hence their name, the "Roman" fountains.
Marli Palace is situated on the shore of a pond and opposite it
there is the "Golden Mountain" cascade, the steps of which are faced
with marble and gilded copper panels. The marble statues decorating the
cascade are designed from the ancient original sculptures or brought in
from Italy in 1870. In the park the alleys are laid out which are also
adorned with fountains.
Next to the Lower Park there
is the Alexandria Park, the tsar residence
of the XIX - XX centuries. The Alexandria is located in the littoral
zone and the upper part of the coastal ledge. There are
hundred-year-old oaks, lindens, maples, poplars as well as trees from
Siberia, Kirghizia, the Far East and Europe.
The largest building in the
Alexandria Park is a three-story cottage, standing on the edge of a
steep slope descending to the sea.
...Как дружно эти водометы
Шумят среди столетних древ,
Днем и в часы ночной дремоты
Не умолкает их напев.
В игре причудливой своей
Они кипят дождем алмазным
Под блеском солнечных лучей.
Ночь разливает сны и чары,
И полон этих чудных снов,
Преданьями своими старый
И вечно юный Петергоф.